Well, it’s Tuesday morning. As instructed by the “banned” message upon logging in to Ravelry, I sent a long, polite and reasoned e-mail pleading my case to the address noted, waaaay back on Saturday night. And it’s probably sitting there, quietly waiting to be read and researched. You see, I’m certain that most, if not all, of the people who have been banned have probably sent at least one note to the address provided. That alone would require a bit of inbox-wading to get through, never mind the research needed to figure out who is who and what is what. I should be patient. I know that I should be patient.
The problem is that I am not naturally patient about some things. Hunting for a parking space at the mall, at Christmas – easy – just go to the back of the lot and walk in from there (LOL!). Waiting in line at the store – sure, no problem – my turn will come eventually, and there’s probably not another line that’s moving any faster anyway. Slow service at a restaurant – generally fine – up to a point, and then I’m stiffin’ you for your tip, k? 😉 But this…this not knowing thing…it’s pushes my impatient button every time, ask anyone who knows me in real life. And yes, Ravelers, that would be an impatient (1000000). (wink, wink!)
The unknown of when/whether this will be fixed, and I’ll get back to my “normal” life with Ravelry is like being thrust into a dark, silent hole of nothingness. Sort of like solitary confinement in jail, but without the knowledge of how I got here. LOL! But why should this bother me so much? I mean, it’s just a website, right? Right?
1. I miss my Rav buddies. We have really close, if virtual, friendships, me and my Rav buddies. But it’s all on Rav. There are a few people that I’ve either met IRL (like my very good friend Roadchick, with whom I sit and knit once every two weeks) or communicate with on facebook. And I’ve run into one or two other people I know from Rav very recently, either through comments here on my blog, or because I was somehow drawn to join Twitter yesterday. (oy – another time-suck!!) But, by and large, many of these dear, wonderful buddies are people I only “see” on Rav. And I miss their good company. 😦
2. When I try to log in, I still get the “banned” message, of course, but I can also see that I have a PM (internal Ravelry e-mail) that I cannot access to read. Really. Really. Frustrating. It’s like having one lone Christmas present with your name on it sitting under the tree…in July. 😛
3. Re-organizing my stash yesterday was an adventure in realizing just how dependent I have become upon the ultra-convenient and informative resources of the Rav yarn and pattern db’s. For instance: I have some Allhemp6 mill-ends received in a Karma Yarn Swap…I didn’t know the weight of the yarn, and the tiny tag didn’t say. So, of course, I sat down at the ‘puter to go on Rav to find out. Yeah, well, that didn’t work, did it? LOL! Eventually, I did manage to find the information I needed, but I surfed to yarndex, wiseneedle and followed several links to various OYSs before finding what I needed. Ahhhh – DK weight. Into the DK-designated drawer it went. So, I really miss the wonderful tools available on Ravelry.
4. (Seriously) I feel like I’ve let my two little forums and their moderators/admins down. Again, my logical mind says that this isn’t my fault, and it (hopefully!!) isn’t forever, but still, I took my moderating responsibilities seriously…so I really regret that I’m not there. Yes, I know I’m not indespensible, too. Both of the forums on which I serve got along very well before I came on as a mod, and I’m sure they are doing well enough without me now. The Jewish Guilt that I suffer does not understand logic, however – it’s genetic and it’s as natural to me as saying, “Oy vey!” – 😉
5. And, everything else aside, my curiousity is killing this (very un-hip) cat. I really want to know how I’m connected – and trying to figure it out without any clues is like a clumsy version of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game or something. Since I don’t even know the URL or domain of the off-Rav site to which the former members have moved, it’s bugging the crap outta me, trying to imagine what site they and I have in common!! Now that is the kind of thing that really gets my curiousity and impatience up into the “obsessed” range. Really. Yup, Obsessed (1000000).
OK – so. Enough of my whining now. I wrote most of this post Monday night, and after a fair night of sleep, I have decided to have faith in myself, in the semi-anonymous lawyer, in Casey and Jess, and in “the system”. I know I’ve done nothing wrong, that for me, at least, this will turn out to be a big but understandable error/accident, and therefore, justice will prevail. It just can’t prevail soon enough for me! 😉
Happy St. Paddy’s Day, everyone. There’s a little Irish in us all on this one day of the year. My parting shot is from a lapel button I’ve had since I was 17 years old:
Roses are red
Violets are bluish
A leprechaun told me
St. Patrick was Jewish!
Addendum: Out of curiousity and possibly desperation, I attempted to log in to Ravelry again this afternoon. Now there are FIVE, count them, FIVE PMs in my Rav inbox. Way to drive Marla crazy, peeps, way to drive me crazy! Curiousity may not have actually done anything to the cat, but it’s sure killin’ me! 😛